Seminars on MENA Crises
The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region is a critical region in the world economy and politics due to its geographical and strategic location along with its natural resources and young population. Located at the crossroads of three continents (Africa, Asia, and Europe), the region connects the East to the West through land and maritime trade routes. It is the birthplace of major religions and major empires. As a result, the region is plagued with foreign interventions, intra-regional conflicts, and political and economic crises we observe today.
The world is currently passing through serious developments that also take their toll on the MENA region. From the recent COVID-19 pandemic to older conflicts, crises are abundant in the region, affecting both the people of the region and international relations. Failed states, dire economic conditions and endless armed conflicts are common in the region, resulting in and caused by power vacuums, humanitarian crises, illegal migration, and environmental disasters. The chronic and emergent crises of the region affect every one of us around the world.
ORSAM Center for Middle Eastern Studies (Turkey) and İstanbul University Political Sciences Faculty is conducting hybrid seminars titled “MENA Crises” that will allow both online and physical participation for college students and above. Istanbul University will host the physical as well as the virtual meetings via the Zoom application. Prominent scholars and experts will take part in the seminars to provide an in-depth understanding of the region’s problems and crises.
Outline of the Seminars:
- System Crisis in Tunisia
- Economic & Political Crises in Lebanon
- The Libyan Crisis & new Era of Relations with Turkey
- The Crises of the Gulf Region
- Political and Economic Crises in Iraq
- Where is the Syrian Crisis heading towards?
- The Arab-Israeli Conflict
- The Afghan Crisis and its Repercussions
- Application Deadline: October 12th, 2021, Tuesday – 18:00 UTC/GMT +3
- Program Period: 16th, 23rd & 24th of October 2021
- Language of the course is English.
- The program is free of charge.
- The result of the applications will be announced by email.
- Course attendance is mandatory (participation in at least 75 percent of the seminars is required).
- Several quizzes might be conducted to confirm whether the participants are sincere about their participation and learning.
- Printed certificates will be given for whom will attend physically and complete the course requirements. e-Certificates will be given for whom will attend virtually and complete the course requirements.
Venue: Istanbul University & Zoom
(Relevant links will be sent via e-mail to accepted candidates before the program.)
Address: Topçular Mah.,Osman Gazi Cd. No:2, Axis İstanbul Eyüp/İstanbul
Tel: +90 850 888 15 20 & Fax: +90 (312) 430 39 48
Fuat Emir Şefkatli, firstname.lastname@example.org